Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Learning Japanese - Goals for this Semester

The long version:


I indulged in various forms of Japanese media as a child and developed a great interest in learning more about the Japanese language and culture. To my disappointment, my secondary schools did not offer Japanese language courses. Luckily, a high school friend introduced me to a website called "All Japanese All the Time," which details the experiences of an American self-studying Japanese from scratch and securing a programming job in Japan all within 18 months. Despite my initial skepticism, I eventually decided to follow his method, which combined spaced-repetition software and language immersion. I soon found myself waking up to Japanese news stations and reading Japanese comics untranslated at night. By the end of my sophomore summer, I understood more Japanese than Spanish, despite having taken Spanish classes for four years.

However, things began to change after I entered college. As I started transitioning to college academics, work-study, and extracurricular activities, I ended up devoting less time to Japanese. By my second semester, I had entirely stopped doing anything Japanese-related, and slowly began losing my grounding in the language. I forgot most kanji, had difficulty recalling hiragana, and struggled to engage in even the simplest small conversations in Japanese. 

Fortunately, as a senior now finishing up the medical school process (hooray!) I can take this academic year to pursue a majority of electives. My goal in First Year Japanese I is to use the grammatical lessons in this class, in combination with my own self-studying, to regain a grounding in Japanese that will allow me to place into a more advanced class during the spring semester.

The short version: 

Due to my interest in Japanese media and culture, I built a foundation in the language in high school. But, that fell apart in college. Now I'm using this class a a refresher while I prepare for the spring Japanese language placement test.

9 comments:

  1. ohayougozaimasu.

    I'm assuming when you say media, you mean anime, ne? (<ha, the extent of what I've learned in the class so far). What anime did you watch? If not anime, what kind of media?
    I was stationed in Japan for two years and I lived out in town. I wish I had taken advantage of Japanese TV because some of them are damn fun to watch. But alas, I was too stingy.

    If you're ever looking for an anime to watch, I really recommend Mushi-shi. It's one of the animes that has really left an impression on me.

    I also took Japanese in H.S. but I wasn't as attentive back then. I wish I had been.

    How's medical school, btw? What's Columbia's program like?

    Anyway, great blog.

    Jya, mata ne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. こんばんわMelissaさん、

    Yeah, by media I was referring to anime, dramas, comedy podcasts, game shows, manga, etc. There's an online Japanese television portal called Keyhole TV that broadcasts a limited selection of channels like TV Tokyo and Fuji TV. The quality is terrible, but I used to use it quite often. Here's the Wikipedia link about it:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KeyHoleTV


    As for anime specifically, I've watched quite a bit. If you google "Random Curiosity" the first search result links to an active community of writers that blog about most of the latest shows each season. (I'd just post the link here, but I'm not sure what's the policy on posting links to unknown sites).

    Lastly, I'm not in medical school yet! まだコロンビアだいがくのよねんせいですよ。What I meant to say was that I'm pretty much done with the pre-medical curriculum. I'm currently in process of applying to med school. Here's to hoping I get lots of interviews this semester/early next semester! (Got an interview to Columbia Medical School, yay!)

    Let me know if you have anymore questions.

    それじゃ、またあした。

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply.

      Has been rough so far? I'm not sure what I want to study yet. Of course Filipino stereotypes suggest I should probably take something in the medical field. I would've loved to maybe, in an alternate universe. I just don't have the knack for it. Chemistry maybe. I loved chem in higschool. Those were the days.

      I don't think there's anything against posting sites, unless it's some outrageous. You could always ask sensei.

      Class is getting harder, ne? I should actually try and study this time before I fall behind.

      じゃあ、がんばれ!。

      Delete
  3. トシンさん、
    I am happy that you have time for learning Japanese as a senior! Hope you will enjoy your Japanese class and lab. :) Good luck on your med school applications!
    TA:あおき

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. あおきせんせい、

      いつもありがとうございます!これからわたしはにほんごのべんきょうといしゃのべんきょうをぜんりょくでがんばります! 



      (ちなみに、「Medical training」はにほんごでなんですか。)

      じゃ、またあした。

      Delete
  4. こんいちわトシンさん、レジーナです。It's good to know I have a fellow buddy learning Japanese! Also, congratulations on your Columbia med school interview! That's great! You may not be good at Jenga, but I'm sure you'll make a great doctor!! Hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ありがとうレジーナさん!わたしはJengaであまりじょうずじゃありませんがりっぱないしゃになりたいです!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. ありがとう!レジーナもがんばってください!

      Delete